Friday, August 8, 2014

Refrigerator raider

So I was pretty hungry last night and didn't feel like slaving for an hour or two in the kitchen. Plus I really wasn't sure what I had in the fridge. What did I do in this time of culinary crisis? Well, I raided the fridge like any single girl should and hit up Pinterest for a recipe.

What I encountered was a recipe for eggs baked in avocado. Luck was with me and I had just the ingredients needed, plus a few more to spice up my impromptu dinner...(and breakfast for the next morning)

While this recipe is simple, we all know what a menace I am in the kitchen so even I might have been able to screw this up. I didn't thank goodness...

The recipe called for 2 avocados and 4 eggs. I halved it because seriously there is one of me and I don't need, nor have the ability or desire, to eat two whole avocados and four eggs in one sitting. 
I sliced the avocado in half and took out the pit (this was seriously the hardest part of this recipe. The darn thing would NOT come out) Next I scooped out some of the avocado to make the hole larger. I put the spoonfuls of avocado aside to make mushy gac later. Now comes the eggs. I didn't want to turn on my oven, because its like 9000 degrees where I live in the summer and I didn't want to die of heatstroke in the name of food, so I used my toaster oven instead. I placed the avocado halves on the wire rack set inside the baking tray (to make sure nothing spilled onto the actual bottom of the toaster over. Fire bad. Dinner good) I cracked the two eggs into the halves and promptly spilled some over the sides of the avocado. Next time I will line the baking tray...I sprinkled in some salt, pepper, and parsley and shoved them in the toaster - set at 425. 
While those cooked I chopped up my optional ingredients, some baby bell peppers and some queso fresco.
 About 5 minutes to the 20 minutes I sprinkled the peppers and the queso over the egg bake thingie and put them back in the over. This melted the cheese and got the peppers are warm and yummy.
This is the finished product. One half actually was enough to satisfy my dinner hunger so I saved the other for breakfast. It tastes just as yummy reheated so no worries there. 

There you have it. It's not from the Nigella cookbook but still a pretty darn good recipe...and I didn't burn the house down making it. Raiding the fridge can be fun I'm learning. 

2 Haas avocados
4 eegs
sea salt
pepper
bell pepper - optional
queso fresco - optional
parsley - optional

slice and pit the avocado, scoop out some flesh to make the cavity bigger.
Pre-heat oven to 425 F
Place avocados on baking sheet, making sure they don't tip over. 
Crack eggs into the halves
add salt and pepper (and parsley or garlic or whatever you want)
Bake for 20 minutes or until eggs are how you like them





No comments:

Post a Comment