Monday, July 14, 2014

Pork chop party

Hello again. Time for the next recipe on my food adventure.  Mustard Pork Chops.
Let me start by saying that whole grain mustard is now my new favorite thing. Since I had to purchase a jar for this recipe I figured I might as well use it for other stuff like sammichs and things. It's amazing. Anywho back to the recipe.

I discovered that pork chops are a bit pricey, at least they were where I purchased them. Also I had to purchase a four pack instead of two like the recipe calls for. So I just doubled everything and made a bigger batch. In the future I will do some shopping around before I buy pork chops again.

First things first I laid out all the ingredients, like ya' do. I do not have garlic-infused olive oil because I'm not fancy. I ended up using regular olive oil and threw some minced garlic into it while it heated. I don't have fancy olive oils but I have fancy minced garlic. I don't get it either.

The recipe asks for hard cider. I have no idea what the difference is in ciders so the one I purchased is an apple hard cider, which I might have drank the rest of while cooking because it tasted like sparkling apple juice that gives you a buzz. 

First thing I did was place the chops in a plastic bag and smacked the crap out of them with my rolling pin. I think I like cooking where I get to take out my aggression at the same time. Next I heated the oil and garlic in the pan before placing the chops on the fire. 

I let them cook about 8 or so minutes until cooked through, flipping periodically of course. Once the chops are cooked, I moved them to a plate and got ready to make the sauce.

The sauce consists of the cider, cream, and mustard all mixed with the juice left in the pan after you remove the chops. I think the sauce was supposed to be thicker but it was a bit runny for me. It still tasted really yummy, spicy and apple-y which worked with the pork chops. I'm not sure what I did incorrectly to get the runnier sauce but I will try it again at some point and see what happens. Overall, not bad for a second attempt and I have leftovers for lunch for the rest of the week!



Mustard Pork Chops

Ingredients

2 pork chops, about 1-pound total weight
2 teaspoons infused oil
1/2 cup hard cider
1 tablespoon grain mustard
1/3 cup heavy cream


Directions

Cut the fat or rind off the chops, and then bash them briefly but brutally with a rolling pin between 2 pieces of cling film/plastic wrap to make them thinner.

Heat the oil in a pan, and then cook the chops over a moderately-high heat for about 5 minutes a side. Remove them to a warmed plate.

Pour the cider into the pan, still over the heat, to deglaze the pan. Let it bubble away for a minute or so then add the mustard and stir in the cream.

Let the sauce continue cooking for a few minutes before pouring over each plated pork chop. If you're having gnocchi with, make sure you turn them in the pan to absorb any spare juices before adding them to your plates.

Next up...Chicken, Mango, and Chili Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment